Thursday, January 27, 2011

Make Your Own Goldfish Crackers - A Tutorial

Goldfish crackers and toddlers seem to go hand and hand. We have Goldfish remnants, dust and smears in every room of our home on any given day. We buy them...by the caseload.

So today, I decided to try and make our own...what's wrong with me? ;) Maybe don't answer that...

I made the dough in the morning while the Littlests and Miss Priss were playing. Mostly...at some times, a little boy or two was holding onto to my leg and crooning love songs to me...


Here's the recipe (I'll bet you have everything you need already~):



  • 1 C all-purpose flour



  • 4 T cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces



  • 8 oz cheddar cheese (I used sharp Cheddar, but I think you could use any type your little ones prefer)



  • 1/2 t salt



  • 1/2 t fresh-ground pepper




  • I found the recipe from the cupcake project.

    1. Combine all ingredients into a food processor.

    2. Pulse until you get a grainy mixture, like a cornmeal.

    3. Add 3-4 Tablespoons of water at a time, until the mix forms into a doughy ball. (I used 3 Tbsp).

    4. Form the dough into a ball or log and wrap in plastic wrap.

    5. Put in the fridge anywhere from 20 minutes to 24 hours. (Mine stayed in for 3 hours...until the Littlests went down for a nap and Miss Priss and I were alone to cut out shapes. She LOVES to cook!)

    6. Line cookie sheets with parchment  paper.

    7. Roll dough until it is 1/8 inch thick. (The thicker the dough, the less crispy the crackers are.)
    8. Cut out as many crackers as you can.

    ...Using tiny Christmas cookie cutters...
    9. Space them 1 inch apart on cookie sheets.

    10. Bake at 350 degrees until golden-crisp. (15-20 minutes)
    
    Look how puffy they get!
    

    VERDICT: The kids love them! (Although Miss Priss said, "Now can I have the real Goldfish?") And...I like them even more than Goldfish *Blush*. They are crispy on the outside and a little softer on the inside than the original. Will definitely be making these again!

    Will you try them? Let me know what you think!

    giveaways

    18 comments:

    TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

    Holy cow, I can't thank you enough for this recipe!!! What a great idea. We are actually over in Germany right now, and sadly they don't have Goldfish over here. So, cannot wait to make these little suckers :)

    http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

    Anna said...

    Sounds like a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    Show Me Mama said...

    Wow, that is awesome! My daughter would so love this. Thanks for sharing. I am your new follower. You can follow me back at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

    Rebekah Lindenmayer said...

    I will try these tomorrow, seeing as we ran out today :) They look so yum!

    Mrs. Sojourner said...

    These look great and like a ton of fun too; thanks for sharing!

    Amy said...

    I love your "gold-men" crackers! ;) My kids love those goldfish crackers and now I can make these at home! For sure there's no ingredients I can't pronounce! Thanks for sharing.

    LocalFunForKids said...

    They look great! I really would love to try this recipe. This is my first time on your blog and I thing your subtitle is great. I definitely relate to the little arms around my legs. You should come check out my blog http://www.localfunforkids.com

    Evie n Lizzie said...

    I know what I'm doing this afternoon! Thank you for the recipe!

    Julie said...

    Wow! I have never thought to make my own, but now I am definitely going to do it!!! Thanks for sharing. I am a new follower and would love for you to follow me back at thefarmgirlrecipes.blogspot.com.

    The Farm Girl

    Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

    This is a great idea. I'm going to save this to make because my little guy would love it! Thanks for sharing your recipe and you have a nice day.

    K.Erighn said...

    I am on an all organic diet and can't have the normal goldfish (which I adore) thank you so much for sharing this!

    http://spillandsplatter.blogspot.com/

    Kim of Mo Betta said...

    All 3 of my kids love Goldfish, so I have to give this a try! Thanks! (visiting from Made By You Monday)

    Richelle said...

    Sounds yummy!

    Sew Can Do said...

    This sounds totally yum. Will have to make these!

    Ammie @ domesticallyobsessed.com said...

    I am so psyched for this recipe. My kids are ADDICTED to goldfish and they are pricey!!!! So thank you!

    Quick question--did you melt the cheese or just shove it in the processor? I don't have a very powerful processor so I am worried the block of cheese might get stuck to the blades. What did you do?

    Our Suburban Circus said...

    I am so happy to see all these comments! Yippee!!

    Ammie - I did end up having to cut the cheese up into smaller bits to get my food processor to grind them up just right. I didn't have to shred them, but it certainly wouldn't hurt, given the strength of your processor's motor. Melting would probably make it a little too soupy for rolling/shaping into a log or ball for the refrigerator!

    Thanks for all the joins, ladies!

    Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

    my goodness!!! these look so good!!! I HAVE to make them!!! :)


    Oh Please share this over here: http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-flavored-lip.html

    We would love to have you join us!

    Alicia said...

    This totally rocks. So cool!