Monday, February 14, 2011

Dinner For 10 - For Less Than $20

For as long as I can remember, my family and I have tried to have Sunday night dinners together. Something about those chaotic, laughter-filled evenings seems to recharge you for the coming week (even if they are exhausting while they are happening!)

Tonight is my night to host. Eek!

We're on a budget. Double Eek!

There will be 5 adults and 5 children. Argh!

What will everyone eat, so that I only have to cook one meal...economically?

Solution: Slow Cooker Crock Pot Salsa Chicken!


Ingredients:

2 cans whole kernel yellow corn, drained (0.69 each)

2 can black beans, rinsed and drained (0.67 each)

2 cans Ro Tel tomatoes (Mild - for the little ones) ($1 each)

8-10 Frozen chicken breasts ($7.99 a bag for frozen breasts)

Bag of shredded Cheddar cheese ($5.99)

10 flour tortillas (0.99 bag of 10)

Total: $19.69
I did my shopping at Kroger on 2/13 (for price comparison)

Here's the easy part:

Put chicken in large crock pot.

Pour over corn, beans and tomatoes.

Cook on Low 4-6 hours.


Shred chicken prior to serving.

Serve chicken, corn, beans and tomatoes together in flour tortillas.

Sprinkle on cheese.

Yummy!

**Note: the Littlests and Little Miss will eat this, too. Little Miss will eat it wrapped in a burrito-style, but the Littlests will only eat the "insides" of the burrito. **

**If you use Mild Ro Tel and non spicy black beans, this dish is not spicy at all**

Posted and shared at: I heart naptime, The Shabby Nest, and Finding Fabulous

http://www.thethriftyhome.com

2 comments:

Megan said...

what a great idea and it sounds yummy. anything with black beans is great is my book!

Megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

Wow, looks great! I may try to make it for 1/2 the people and 1/2 the price! :) Thanks for sharing! I found you through Made By You Mondays and am now a follower.

Melanie
youmadethat.blogspot.com