Saturday, February 5, 2011

DIY 'Nilla Wafers


So, after making our own Goldfish crackers, I started to look around the house at all the other foods my little ones eat in a light-speed fashion. (ie: I buy them on Monday and they are gone by Wednesday.) 'Nilla wafers. Every night the Littlests have one after bath and before bedtime. There's just something cozy about a "cookie" and milk before bed. Or, so I am projecting onto them! :)

Little Miss also likes these as a snack some afternoons, so, needless to say, we buy them a lot.

Have you ever read the ingredients list back there?

Can you pronounce everything?

They taste SO good, but it's kind of scary the amount preservatives that are in there. I'm not exactly a 'granola' mom, but...we don't need all those things when they are gone in two days!

Off to the kitchen Little Miss and I go!

Here's a recipe for DIY 'Nilla Wafers (Once again, I bet you have all of it already!):



1 stick of butter (softened)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg (large)
1 Tbsp Vanilla
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

1. Cream the butter and sugar together.
2. Add vanilla and egg. Mix well.
3. Mix in flour and baking soda.


Look at that precious little hand, that's my sous-chef!  :)

4. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

5. The dough formed is a little sticky, some say to spoon it onto the cookie sheet, I rolled it into little balls. (I also wanted that classic 'Nilla shape.)


6. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until golden on the edges.


The Verdict: Me - I like them. They are a nice, light cookie that tastes GREAT with a glass of cold milk. I don't think they taste exactly like a 'Nilla wafer, but I'm okay with that.
Darling Hubby - "They taste like fluffier sugar cookies. I like them." He ate about 15.
Little Miss - "Mommy, these 'Nilla wafers are delicious!" She ate 5.
The Littlests -  The Littlest Littlest ate 2. Seemed just fine with the taste, texture, etc. The Biggest Littlest fed his to the dog. Not because he didn't like it...he didn't even taste it. He's the pickiest.

So...I would call it a success! Not quite 'Nilla, but not too shabby!

No comments: