Monday, February 28, 2011

Making my Own Yogurt - Try #3

Tonight, I am going to try to make my own crock pot yogurt.

Again.

For the third time.

If I fail (again), I am officially a yogurt flunkie.

This recipe has been floating around the internet for eons. I'm going to tweak it a bit, to try and get the desired effects...yogurt, not just smelly milk.

What you need:

1/2 gallon of whole milk
6 oz yogurt with LIVE cultures
Crockpot


1. Pour the milk into the crockpot (slow cooker).

2. Cook on LOW for 2 1/2 hours.


3. Turn off slow cooker.

4. Let milk sit until it is 110 degrees F. (About 2 - 2 1/2 hours).

5. Whisk in 6 oz. yogurt.


6. Wrap in thick towels/Down vest I had lying around.


7. Leave overnight. (About 6 hours).


8. Jump up and down, screaming like a loon because
It worked!!!

:)

It's gonna be a good Monday, ya'll!



4 comments:

Tricia said...

I would like to know if the yogurt you made tastes like the yogurt you bought to make it with. I would love to do this instead of going back each week to buy it. Also, does it keep as well? ~Tricia

Our Suburban Circus said...

Tricia -

Good questions! I think the taste is a bit milder than the yogurt I started with. This morning, we mixed the yogurt with strawberry preserves...OMG! So good!

Also, the yogurt lasts about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. I don't think our half gallon will last that long.

Let me know how your try goes!

Matt and Rebecca said...

I've tried to make yogurt before, but it hasn't turned out right. Tried your way and YAY!! it worked! We strained it through cheesecloth this morning and made a great greek-style yogurt. I'm so excited! No more paying a dollar for 6oz yogurt!
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

April@MySacredSojourn said...

I tried this same recipe last week and ended up with something more like "thick milk" than yogurt. Any thoughts? I thought maybe it didn't get warm enough for long enough, but I followed the directions (from another site, but the same directions.) I can't get any response from that one for help, so I'm glad I found this post!

I'm definitely going to try again, though...this is something I really want to do for our family! (I just hate having to pay $6 for 16 oz. of greek yogurt!)