Monday, March 14, 2011

Making Homemade Yogurt Thicker -- The Easy Way

All right, since I finally figured out to make yogurt, I thought I would try my hand at making it "thicker" this go round.

(Here's a link to the original yogurt post (with ingredients): Crock Pot Yogurt
I bought some cheesecloth. I poured the yogurt through it...I failed.
...Miserably...

I was frustrated.

I found coffee filters!

I layered three in a colander and then put the colander in a bowl.


Then I put it all in the refrigerator and let it sit for about 1 hour.

It worked! It's thicker!

The longer you let it sit, the thicker it will get. You can even make Greek-style yogurt this way.

And...the "liquid" you have left over is whey.


You can use it in place of buttermilk for recipies, I'm told. (I don't really use buttermilk a lot, though).

So, there you have it! Thicker, yummier, cheaper, yogurt!

Aren't you proud of yourself?

:)

3 comments:

ARK said...

AWESOME! Do you have a recipe for the yogurt? I really have been wanting to try this...the overnight method sounds right up my alley :)

Our Suburban Circus said...

Hey there! I went ahead and out the link to the original recipe in this post...just for you! ;)

Here it is again, though! Let me know if you make the yogurt...I promise, it gets better every time!

http://oursuburbancircus.blogspot.com/2011/02/making-my-own-yogurt-try-3.html

Ali said...

wonderful!

I made a huge batch of yogurt a few weeks ago, and it was just too runny. I'm gonna make a new batch soon and if it is still runny I am gonna use this technique. Thanks SO Much!